• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattG
    Blossoming 3Dflower
    • May 2024

How to have colors in very dense cloud

Hello,

I created a dense cloud but I am not satisfied with the result.
    I need a very dense cloud, so I increased the image resolution in the settings both in Dense Point Cloud Creation and Surface Reconstruction.
    In the first case, within Surface Reconstrction step, I choose the Fast presets. The cloud is very dense, but unfortunately it has no color.
    In a second time, I did the same but in only activating photoconsistency with high resolution. The new cloud is 5 times less dense.

Why did I obtain only no color with high resolution ? How to have the same final resolution with colors in the cloud ?

Thank you,
    Matt G.​
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi Matt,

make sure you also created a Mesh even if your deliverable is a dense cloud. If you did sparse - advanced - dense extractio, your'e extracting the raw cloud. You want to extract 3D model, as the mesh generation will improve the dense cloud.

It seems you've done so, so you might have changed some parameters. The amount of points itself isn't a good metric for the quality of a dense point cloud, but you can always use the densification filter. You can of course also interact on the other parameters such as resolution and the photoconsistency parameters.

Understanding mesh and point cloud filters   Welcome to the 3DF Zephyr tutorial series. In this tutorial, you will learn how to properly use point cloud filters, mesh filters, and photoconsistency in Zephyr. These filters work directly on the dense … Read More

It's a bit difficult to be able to pinpoint exactly what happened in your case, not knowing the dataset and settings used.

Comment

• MattG
      Blossoming 3Dflower
      • May 2024

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for your response. I understand better why we need mesh generation for an improved dense cloud. I don't change the parameters, that why the result is strange.
      Thanks to the tuoturial your sent, I took note of Densification filter, that is be useful for me. How does it work, does it interpolate point from the selected dense cloud ?
      I know it can not be of quality even very dense, but I want to check if my method can be appled on a dense cloud with a high amount of points.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Yes, the densification will basically interpolate. To create real photogrammetric detail, you need to increase the resolution parameter as well as consider playing with the photoconsistency filter, as that will increase point count and quality.

Comment

Working...